Chakra (チャクラ, chakura) is a substance native to lifeforms on some planets. Due to it being the component to create Chakra Fruit, the Ōtsutsuki Clan travel from planet to planet to absorb all the chakra on them in order to create the fruit to consume.
On Earth, humans didn't have chakra until Hamura and Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki were born with it, which was a result of their mother Kaguya eating their planet's chakra fruit from the God Tree. Hagoromo spread chakra to others through a practice called ninshū, intending to create peace by using the chakra to connect people's spiritual energy so that they would understand one another without even talking. However, the people did not use chakra in the way Hagoromo hoped, instead using it to connect their inner spiritual and physical energies. They kneaded their inner chakra to amplify and weaponise it, creating what is now known as ninjutsu.
Chakra is essential to even the most basic jutsu. Through various methods, the most common of which is hand seals, chakra can be controlled and manipulated to create an effect that would not be possible otherwise, such as walking on water, exhaling fire, or creating illusions. Chakra is ordinarily not visible to the unaided eye unless it is highly concentrated or manifested in large amounts. This is rarely seen due to the restrictions of eight specific tenketsu known as the Eight Gates, which limit the amount of chakra an individual can release at a single given time.
Since being spread by Hagoromo, better known as the Sage of Six Paths, chakra has become a form of life energy that all individuals produce to some degree; those who run out of chakra will die. Produced within and manipulated by organs such as the heart, the energy circulates throughout the body in a network called the "Chakra Pathway System", which is similar to the cardiovascular system. Groups such as shinobi have learned to generate more chakra and release it outside their bodies through pressure points called tenketsu in order to perform jutsu.
Chakra is created when two more primal energies, known collectively as one's "stamina", are moulded together. Physical energy (身体エネルギー, shintai enerugī) is collected from each of the body's cells and can be increased through training, stimulants, and exercise. Spiritual energy (精神エネルギー, seishin enerugī, English TV: Mental Energy) is derived from the mind's consciousness and can be increased through studying, meditation, and experience. These two energies becoming more powerful will in turn make the created chakra more powerful. Therefore, practising a technique repeatedly will build up experience, increasing one's spiritual energy, and thus allowing more chakra to be created. As a result, the ninja is able to do that same technique with more power. This same cycle applies for physical energy, except the ninja needs to increase their endurance instead. Some unique individuals have substantial potential that enables them to exponentially increase their chakra reserves in a relatively short amount of time.
At any given time, a ninja will have a "maximum" amount of chakra that they can form and use before it runs out and they need to rest to replenish it. With practice this maximum can be increased, but to a certain extent as they are limited to the quantity and strength of chakra that their genetics grants them. For instance, Kakashi Hatake has average chakra reserves, but no amount of training can grant him the same amount of chakra as Naruto Uzumaki whom he stated had more chakra than himself. If a body is given far more chakra than it is able to handle, then the body would potentially be killed by the overwhelming chakra, as Fūka had to divide the chakra she absorbed into different bodies, a Kumo-nin who ate Gyūki's chakra meat tentacle died instead of acquiring part of its power, and the reason why Isshiki Ōtsutsuki chose not to resurrect in Jigen's body due to it being unable to handle his massive chakra.
Each person's chakra is different and as such gives off a unique chakra signature, which sensor type ninja are able to detect. Chakra signatures are passed genetically, allowing a person's clan to be identified by their chakra; over time, entire populations can have perceptibly different chakra. One's chakra signature can be altered by absorbing DNA from multiple people, mixing various chakra signatures together to become a whole new one. In the anime, chakra signatures that are similar to each other (such as that of a parent and child) are suggested to resonate when near each other. Each person's chakra also has a unique "colour" that can be seen by those with dōjutsu (the anime tends to colour all normal chakra light blue). Even if they are separated, changes made in the chakra signature of the original will result in the separated chakra mimicking those changes.
While practically all types of jutsu require chakra to be performed, taijutsu does not; stamina is all that is needed. While the ninja still needs a set amount of chakra to live, regular taijutsu doesn't require any active moulding or manipulation of chakra, with few exceptions. A standard attack like a punch or kick falls into this technique category.
Because chakra takes time and a great deal of training to gradually build up, the key to its use is not actually having large amounts of chakra but instead being able to sufficiently control and conserve it. This is called chakra control (チャクラコントロール , chakura kontorōru). In order to have good chakra control, a ninja should only mould as much chakra as they need to perform a given ability. If they mould more chakra than is needed, the excess chakra is wasted and they will tire out faster from its loss. If they don't mould enough chakra, a technique will not be performed effectively, if at all, likely creating problems in a combat situation. Because chakra consists in part of spiritual energy, the user is more easily able to mould the correct amount of chakra by remaining calm and focused.
General training methods for improving one's moulding and manipulation of chakra are the Leaf Concentration, Tree Climbing, and Water Surface Walking exercises. A good way to build up chakra in the body is to spin it into a tight spiral; Whether to spin the chakra left or right is dependent on the way the user's hair grows. Hand seals are often used to manipulate chakra more easily, allowing shinobi to execute their techniques faster and more effectively. Shinobi who are extremely skilled at chakra control often specialise in genjutsu or become medical-nin.
A more casual use is using chakra control to sober one's self after consuming alcohol. Mei Terumi displays this ability when Shino advises her not to get too drunk during their meeting.
Chakra can also be used for general performance enhancement. By moulding the chakra into key points of the body, usually the hands or feet, it will greatly augment their physical prowess. Certain shinobi are able rely on this skill to gain a speed boost, acquire a sixth sense, and even perform superhuman strikes. As shown in the anime, it is shown that moulding one's chakra can also improve mental prowess, able to process information more efficiently.
- Shape transformation deals with controlling the form, movement, and potency of one's chakra, determining the size, range, and purpose of a technique.
- Nature transformation deals with the moulding and defining of the nature of one's chakra, altering its properties and characteristics for use in techniques. There is also the nature transformations of Yin and Yang, which deals with changing the ratio of spiritual and physical energies within chakra.
These two methods can be implemented separately or together in order to create a technique, though ninja who can use both simultaneously are said to be rare.
Types of Chakra
Tailed Beast Chakra
Main article: Tailed Beasts The tailed beasts (尾獣, bijū), sometimes referred to as "Chakra Monsters" (チャクラのバケモノ, Chakura no Bakemono), are the nine titanic living forms of chakra created by the Sage of Six Paths out of the chakra from the Ten-Tails. They are differentiated by the number of tails they have, ranging from one to nine. A tailed beast's chakra is coloured red.
Main article: Senjutsu Senjutsu (仙術, English TV: Sage Jutsu, literally meaning: Sage Techniques) are a specialised field of jutsu that involve the use of natural energy. Senjutsu practitioners, known as sages, learn to draw natural energy inside their bodies, blending it with their own chakra to create senjutsu chakra (仙術チャクラ, senjutsu chakura, English TV: Sage Jutsu Chakra). This chakra adds a new dimension of power to the user's techniques, while also allowing for the use of techniques that would not otherwise be possible.
Absorption Chakra (吸引チャクラ, Kyūin Chakura) is produced by the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path, and can be released from its mouth in the form of phantom dragons. Any chakra that touches these dragons sticks to them, which allows them to kill human beings in an instant. The Sealing Technique: Phantom Dragons Nine Consuming Seals utilises nine of these dragons to extract tailed beast chakra from a jinchūriki or directly seal the beast into the statue, though sealing such a large amount of chakra requires several days.
Six Paths Chakra
Six Paths chakra (六道チャクラ, Rikudō Chakura) is the unique chakra of Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki. Six Paths chakra can be acquired from Hagoromo, by combining the chakra of Hagoromo's sons — Indra and Asura — to form the Rinnegan, or by becoming the jinchūriki of the Ten-Tails. What exactly this special chakra is or how it works is unclear, but it dramatically improves the strength of the user's jutsu.
Similarly named "powers" have been used by different characters, but it is unclear what relation, if any, they have to Six Paths chakra:
- Naruto Uzumaki imbues his Truth-Seeking Balls with Six Paths Sage Chakra (六道の仙人チャクラ, Rikudō no Sennin Chakura), allowing him to damage shadows of Madara Uchiha.
- Sasuke Uchiha uses Six Paths Power (六道の力, Rikudō no Chikara) against Madara's shadow, and Kakashi Hatake briefly receives some from Obito Uchiha's spirit. When both of them use it, their Lightning Release chakra changes colour.
- The Six Paths Yin and Yang powers can be divided between individuals so that, when combined, Six Paths — Chibaku Tensei can be performed.
Like Hagoromo's, Hamura Ōtsutsuki's chakra has special properties and is essentially the same as Six Paths Chakra, passed through the bloodlines of the Ōtsutsuki and Hyūga clans. Only those with Hamura's chakra can touch (and thus destroy) the Tenseigan and are immune to its effects. Interestingly, when using the chakra she received from Hamura, Hinata Hyūga's chakra turned a dark purple in colour.
Gift of the Hermit Group
Main article: Gift of the Hermit Group The Gift of the Hermit Group (仙族の才, Senzoku no Sai, English TV: Gift of the Sages) is a special kind of chakra used by the ninja monks of the Fire Temple. It requires daily, unrelenting training to master. This chakra is required to unseal the Sealed Iron Wall granting access to the Fire Temple. It is also required for the technique Welcoming Approach: Thousand-Armed Murder.
Main article: Mysterious Peacock Method Seen in the anime, shinobi from Hoshigakure can manipulate their chakra into a wide variety of skills by using the chakra-enhancing meteorite, albeit at the cost of extreme damage to their bodies. Hoshigakure's method gets its name, Mysterious Peacock, from the chakra's raw manifestation as pinkish-purple chakra tails similar to a peacock's tail feathers.
Main article: Zero-Tails Seen in Naruto Shippūden the Movie: Bonds, Dark Chakra (闇のチャクラ, Yami no Chakura) is a special chakra formed from the negative emotions of the heart. Created by the Zero-Tails as it feeds on the negative emotions of the people around it, it is shown to be extremely powerful, being used to power the Land of the Sky's Ancor Vantian and grants Shinnō powerful techniques with seemingly no drawbacks. However, it requires proper chakra control to use, and disruption in the control can cause a damaging backlash, as Shinnō's body heavily deteriorated when his control was sabotaged.
Main article: Bell (charm) Seen in Naruto Shippūden the Movie, Priestess Chakra (巫女チャクラ, Miko Chakura) has a bright and unique aspect. It can send pink rays of severing light at the user, Shion's, opponents, create a light barrier to shield her from darkness, and transform her into an angelic form. She also used the mystical chakra of the bell to create a protective sphere around a designated target, as she did for Naruto Uzumaki, and use the chakra with Naruto to form the Super Chakra Rasengan. Miroku feared that if Shion is corrupted, her powers would be deadlier than a gigantic demon's.
Main article: Ryūmyaku Seen in Naruto Shippūden the Movie: The Lost Tower, the Ryūmyaku (龍脈, English TV: Ley Line, literally meaning: Dragon Veins) is an ancient source of chakra that flows under Rōran, granting anyone who harnesses it infinite chakra reserves. Only the heirs of the kingdom's royal bloodline can open or close the flow, but after it's opened, anyone can use it.
- In Hinduism, chakra refers to each of seven centres of spiritual power in the human body: the tailbone, sacrum, stomach, heart, throat, forehead and crown.
- The etymology for the word Chakra (चक्र) translates as "Wheel", "Circle"; this also pertains as to how chakra is produced within one's body: physical energy and spiritual energy are effectively "spun" into functional chakra. The direction of this spinning (clockwise or counter-clockwise) can be determined by checking how one's hair grows, as it influenced such spinning.
- Chakra and how it's formed/blended/spun-together from the combination of spiritual and physical energies parallels the real-world Daoist-Shinto belief of Konpaku (魂魄); the belief of a two-fold soul, the spiritual soul and the physical soul.
- Chakra seems to reflect its owner's personality and emotions to some extent: Karin describes Naruto's chakra as bright and warm, while she says Sasuke's — while in the grips of his Curse of Hatred — is dark and cold. She also sensed the evil chakra inside Naruto and found Suigetsu's chakra to be disgusting. Ino also commented that Sasuke's chakra was much darker, when he used the Cursed Seal of Heaven the first time.
- Individuals can create imprints of their consciousness out of chakra that act separately from themselves and may outlive them, as seen with Minato Namikaze and Kushina Uzumaki's presence within their son's Eight Trigrams Sealing Style. Being pure chakra, they cannot replenish themselves, and once their chakra is spent they will disappear.
- Chakra is an energy that can connect the physical world and the spiritual one. It can act as a bridge for spirits to leave the afterlife and return to the physical world temporarily. Obito returned as a spirit from the afterlife with the use of chakra to inhabit Kakashi's body. This parallels chakra's nature as the fusion of physical and spiritual energies.
- Chakra can be transmitted across long distances in the form of chakra signals (チャクラ信号, Chakura Shingō). To create the strongest possible connection, these signals must be transmitted from a place of high elevation that is relatively close to their destination. It is also possible to adjust the frequency of these signals to prevent them from being traced back to their source.
- Another being's chakra can cause temporary and permanent changes to one's body. The Gold and Silver Brothers had whisker marks on their cheeks similar to Naruto's after gaining Kurama's chakra from eating its flesh. After being given chakra by Hagoromo, Sasuke permanently developed a Rinnegan in one of his eyes. Kakashi's regular eyes temporarily transformed into Sharingan after Obito's spirit and chakra temporarily inhabits his body. These changes can be on a genetic level such as the whisker marks inherited from Naruto by his children: Boruto and Himawari.
- In Naruto the Movie: Legend of the Stone of Gelel, Temujin's Continent is completely unaware of chakra or how to use it.
- Naruto chapter 646, pages 6-9
- Naruto chapter 665, pages 6-7
- Naruto chapter 79, page 10
- Naruto chapter 671
- Naruto chapter 18, page 25
- Naruto chapter 525, page 3
- Naruto chapter 547, page 2
- Naruto chapter 667, page 2
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 70
- Naruto chapter 644
- Naruto chapter 19, page 13
- Naruto chapter 151, page 11
- Boruto episode 16
- Naruto chapter 404, page 14
- Naruto chapter 256, page 14
- Naruto chapter 467, pages 14-17
- Third Databook, page 294
- Fourth Databook, page 247
- Naruto chapter 671, pages 17-19
- Naruto chapter 681, page 3
- Naruto chapter 680, page 12
- Boruto episode 11
- Naruto chapter 421, page 15
- Naruto chapter 436, pages 3-4
- Naruto chapter 435, pages 11-12