|This is the article on the classification. For the ninjutsu itself, head to Clone Technique.|
Clone techniques (分身術, Bunshinjutsu) are techniques that create copies of the user or their tools. Though the standard Clone Technique is considered the most basic of ninjutsu, these techniques are highly versatile, often used to distract enemies or fool them into thinking they have landed a hit on the user. Corporeal clones can aid the user in physical combat, and even use techniques independent of the original. There are varying methods of creating clones, some techniques using only chakra while others require some sort of medium to give the clones form and substance. There are also clone techniques that transform another person or animal into a clone of the user, such as the Beast Human Clone, as well as genjutsu which create illusory clones, such as the Mist Servant Technique.
Clones have been noted several times to be reduced in quality from the original in some way, shape, or form. Madara boasted that clones are useless against him and Obito mentioned the chakra received from a clone could not supply him the chakra he needed to use Kamui to sync with Kaguya's dimensions.
During his experiments on Shin Uchiha, Orochimaru developed a variant of clones, which were considered to be a higher class than the Shadow Clone Technique. The results are that each one is the same as the original, and that they will not disappear even if struck with sufficient force; the only method of dispersal is killing them. In a way, they are similar to White Zetsu's Parasite Clone, though unlike them, they have their own sense of individuality and free will, leading them to betray the original Shin when they see fit. These clones have also created their own clones without the original noticing, but had done so improperly, which resulted in various genetic and physical defects. Regardless, since they are not bound by the original nor can be dispersed like a normal technique, they are essentially separate, living individuals. Orochimaru later applied this to create partial clones of himself, Log and Mitsuki.
Other individuals have also created various types of clones, whether they are based off of Orochimaru's methods or independently:
- Kabuto Yakushi gathered some of Manda's genes to create a modified clone, Manda II, who has been enhanced to have more draconic features than the original. Unlike the original Manda, Manda II was unquestionably obedient to the summoner.
- The Iwa Doctor combined White Zetsu DNA with that of Ōnoki's to create a partial clone of the latter, Kū. Kū, alongside the other Fabrications, were flawed with an unstable lifespan, which can be mitigated by transplanting a human heart into the body.
- Amado Sanzu created a clone of Jiraiya named Koji Kashin, and enhanced his body with Shinobi-Ware. Koji has proven himself to be superior in terms of power than his genetic template, such as more potent techniques and full mastery of Sage Mode.
- Naruto chapter 62, pages 8-9
- First Databook, page 196
- Naruto chapter 700+7, pages 13+14
- Naruto chapter 700+9, pages 9-12