After establishing direct contact with their opponent through a simple punch, the user utilises Explosion Release to subsequently generate an enormous explosion from the opponent's insides. This explosion is powerful enough to completely obliterate an opponent far larger than the user. Due to the directionality of the blast, the user minimises any potential repercussions, such as being struck by resultant debris and even recoil appears to be completely negated.
In the anime, Gari is able to use the technique on the ground to create a shockwave of upturned earth and debris to throw the enemy off balance. When used like this, the explosion is orange coloured instead of red. In the anime, he also uses a less-destructive version of this technique, creating a puff of smoke instead of an explosion.
- The technique's name appears to be a pun on the word "minefield" (地雷原, jiraigen).
- Fourth Databook, page 324
- Naruto chapter 522, page 12-13
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 285
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 284