The user kneads chakra in their body and turns it into fire, which they then expel from their mouth; the more chakra they use, the more flames that are produced. Sometimes the flames lack a distinct shape, being only a stream, but more often than not they take the form of a giant orb that maintains its shape until hitting a target. Upon impact, the fireball is powerful enough to crater the ground and vaporise the surroundings. Against living targets, the fireball can cause extensive burns.
The Great Fireball Technique was created by the Uchiha clan, and over time became one of their signature abilities. The Uchiha in fact used the Great Fireball Technique as a coming of age rite, with members not being considered true adults until they learned to perform it. In keeping with this, the manga has only ever shown Uchiha using this technique; the anime at times depicts non-Uchiha performing it.
- The characters for "Fireball (火球) also mean "bolide", "comet", and "shooting star".
- Several different hand seals have been given for this technique during the course of the series:
- Rin no Sho lists the hand seals as Horse and Tiger.
- Hyō no Sho lists the hand seal as just Tiger.
- In Naruto: Shippūden episode 4, Kakashi uses an unknown amount of hand seals in quick succession, using many more than the usual six.
- In Naruto: Shippūden episode 15, Itachi uses Boar, Horse, and Tiger.