A technique where chakra kneaded inside the body is converted into fire and expelled from the mouth either as a massive orb of roaring flame or as a continuous flame-thrower. The scope of the attack is altered by controlling the volume of chakra that is mustered. The released flames will engulf their target, and leave a crater in the ground's surface.
- According to Kakashi Hatake, this technique was originally created by the Uchiha clan, becoming one of their favoured moves at which they became very adept.
- The characters for Fireball (火球) also means a "bolide", a "comet", and a "shooting star".
- The manga portrays use of this technique as unique to the Uchiha clan, while the anime has portrayed it as a common Fire Release technique used by several non-Uchiha.
- In the video game Naruto Shippūden: Dragon Blade Chronicles, Naruto's Dragon Blade enables him to perform this technique (though he refers to it as Fire Shot) despite Fire not being his nature type.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja 4, after learning all other techniques and beating Kakashi in battle, he will teach the player this technique and allows the player to customise it to characters in free battle.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja 5, during The Chambers of the Darkness: The White Chapter, the player gets a scroll with this technique in the last room of Orochimaru's Hideout.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Impact, when Tobi uses this technique after reinforcing it, he teleports himself in the air and shoots a volley of giant fireballs.
- During his battle with Kakashi, Naruto, Sakura and Chiyo, Itachi was seen using the hand seals: Boar, Horse, and Tiger to create this technique.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Sasuke Uchiha uses a form of this technique that incorporates Blaze Release: Kagutsuchi into it.