Ice Release (氷遁, Hyōton, Viz: Ice Style) is a nature transformation kekkei genkai, a combination of water and wind. The Land of Water's Yuki clan was feared for the power of their Ice Release, forcing its members to go into hiding to escape persecution.
In Kakashi Hiden, Kahyō and Rahyō are ice users whose family was conquered by Kirigakure decades earlier. Because Kiri did not value their lives, they both defected and settled in the Land of Waves. In the Boruto anime, Ryōgi from the Land of Snow can use Ice Release.
Haku, a descendant of the Yuki clan, can make mirrors of ice that he is able to enter and instantly travel between. His ice is resistant to fire, experiencing little to no melting despite the heat. Kahyō can plant ice particles on targets, causing them to freeze to death if they don't constantly use their chakra to keep themselves warm. Her Ice Release is dependent on moisture in the air, preventing her from forming ice in dry conditions. Rahyō encases his hands with ice, strengthening his taijutsu strikes and making it easier for him to block opponents' taijutsu. Ryōgi can shoot shards of ice at targets.
An Ice Release user's presence can lower their surroundings' temperature, causing snow to fall in the immediate vicinity. Similarly, Ryōgi is shown lowering his own body temperature so that his movements will not activate thermal sensors.
- In Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, ninja from Yukigakure use Ice Release by manipulating pre-existing ice and snow. Their Ice Release is not a kekkei genkai, as Kakashi Hatake is able to copy it with his Sharingan. Most of these Ice Release jutsu use the Dog hand seal.
- In the original Naruto anime, Renga crystallises the water vapour around him into ice. This is never mentioned to be Ice Release.
- In Sasuke Shinden: The Teacher's Star Pupil, after Sasuke Uchiha performs a Water Release, he rapidly cools it with Wind Release, creating ice. Konohamaru Sarutobi compares this process to Ice Release, but Sasuke insists that it's inferior to true Ice Release.
- Sasuke later dispenses with Wind Release entirely, instead manipulating the molecules of his Water Release so that it changes from its liquid state (water) to its solid state (ice).
- Naruto chapter 316, page 8
- Naruto chapter 522, page 2
- Naruto chapter 29, page 10
- Boruto episode 43
- Naruto chapter 25, page 12
- Naruto chapter 25, page 8
- Boruto episode 44
- Naruto chapter 522, page 7
- Naruto episode 190