"Izanagi and Izanami" (イザナギとイザナミ, Izanagi to Izanami) is episode 338 of the Naruto: Shippūden anime.
With Izanami activated, and Kabuto trapped within its infinite loop, Sasuke uses this time to question his brother about the technique. Itachi tells Sasuke about the history behind Izanami's creation as well as the Uchiha clan's use of the technique. Itachi ultimately reveals to Sasuke that Izanami was created with the sole purpose of stopping the users of the technique's counterpart: Izanagi so that they would accept their fate — which is also the way to escape the infinite loop. Angered by the fact that Itachi would cast a technique that has an escape route, Sasuke questions his motives to which Itachi says that he wished to give Kabuto an opportunity to accept his fate. Sasuke, however, claims that Itachi is perfect and rather different from Kabuto but the elder Uchiha refuses this claim. Elsewhere, somewhere in a forest seemingly some distance away, a grown-up Urushi tells his comrade that he hoped by the time he gets home, Kabuto will be there. Back at the cave, Itachi prepares to put an end to the Impure World Reincarnation technique.
- Due to Neon Alley's shutdown on May 4, 2016, this is the last episode of the English dub to have a premiere debut on a television/digital streaming broadcast. The dub for Naruto: Shippuden episodes 339 onward makes its debut first on North American DVD releases.
- In the preview of this episode, the flashback of the Uchiha inter-clan rivalry was shown in colour. However, this episode showed the flashback in black and white when it first aired.
- Itachi uses Tsukuyomi on Kabuto with his "right Mangekyō", even though his Tsukuyomi eye is his "left Mangekyō", which had lost its sight earlier in battle due to the use of Izanami.
- When Itachi talked with Sasuke before he decided to release the Impure World Reincarnation, Itachi's left sclerae mistakenly appeared normal in one scene instead of black sclerae.
- In Kabuto's mind when his horn was sliced off, the illusionary Itachi was not holding Sasuke's sword, which was an animation error. In the manga, he was holding it.
|Role||Seiyū||English Voice Actor|
|Sasuke Uchiha||Noriaki Sugiyama||杉山 紀彰||Sugiyama Noriaki||Yuri Lowenthal|
|Itachi Uchiha||Hideo Ishikawa||石川 英郎||Ishikawa Hideo||Crispin Freeman|
|Kabuto Yakushi||Nobutoshi Kanna||神奈 延年||Kanna Nobutoshi||Henry Dittman|
|Rai Uchiha||Shinobu Matsumoto||松本 忍||Matsumoto Shinobu||Jonathan Fahn|
|Baru Uchiha||Ryuichi Kijima||木島 隆一||Kijima Ryūichi||Nicolas Roye|
|Naka Uchiha||Kengo Kawanishi||河西 健吾||Kawanishi Kengo||Bryce Papenbrook|
|Naori Uchiha||Mariko Higashiuchi||東内 マリ子||Higashiuchi Mariko||Carrie Keranen|
|Konoha shinobi||Kosuke Goto||後藤 光祐||Gotō Kōsuke||Grant George|
|Urushi (adolescent)||Taira Kikumoto||菊本 平||Kikumoto Taira||Liam O'Brien|