|Manga||Volume #3, Naruto Chapter #20|
|Anime||Naruto Episode #11|
|Novel||Naruto: Innocent Heart, Demonic Blood|
|Game||Naruto: Konoha Ninpōchō|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Novel, Game|
Kaiza (カイザ, Kaiza) was a travelling fisherman who came to the Land of Waves to seek new opportunity.
After saving Inari from drowning, he taught the boy everything he knew about life, stressing that he must protect the things that were precious to him, saying to always do so "with these two arms". He eventually married Tsunami, Inari's mother, and became Inari's stepfather as well as role model. When Gatō tried to take over the Land of Waves, Kaiza tried to stop him. But Gatō decided to use Kaiza to scare anyone who hoped to stand against him. To do this, he had his bodyguards cut off Kaiza's arms mocking his statement of "protecting the things you love with both arms" and then executed him in public, scaring Inari, who was watching the execution.
Kaiza was a very brave man; his character was similar to Naruto's and the Fourth's. His ideology was to never give up if he ever had an aim. Kaiza is shown as a patriot of his homeland and a great protector of its inhabitants, as he had put his life on the line, desperately trying to prevent Gatō's intervention into the Land of Waves.
Kaiza had short spiky black hair and black eyes. He had a small white rope tied around his head which was tied on the right side of his head and a small x-shaped scar on his chin. He wore a black T-shirt that had a white outline and a white pair of pants. He also had scars on his arms.
Kaiza had excellent stamina; it is described by how he could save the whole village from a catastrophe alone: when a dam door accidentally opened, he managed to swim through the strong current of water to close it which was stated to be impossible by any normal human being. Tazuna explained when Kaiza attempted to stop Gatō, it took the entire gang to stop a single man.
Unfortunately for Kaiza, no one was able to stand up to Gatō like he did and they all lived their lives under his ruthless reign, valuing their lives over their pride. Years later, Inari met a young boy named Naruto who passed his and Kaiza's will to Inari who passed that bravery onto the rest of the Land of Waves.
- In the anime, Kaiza's arms aren't chopped off; however, they seem to be very badly injured by two of Gatō's henchmen wielding mallets.
- "Kaiza" is the Japanese version of the word "Kaiser", the German word for "emperor".
- (To Inari) "If something is truly important to you… even it's heart-breaking, even if it's sorrowful… you keep on trying and trying, even if you lose your life, you keep on protecting it with these two arms!! …Then, even if you die, you leave behind the proof that you are a man… forever…" (「自分にとって本当に大切なものは…つらくても悲しくても…頑張って頑張って、たとえ命を失うようなことがあったってこの2本の両腕で守り通すんだ!!…そしたら、たとえ死んだって男が生きた証はそこに残る…永遠に…」, "Jibun ni totte hontō ni taisetsuna mono wa… tsurakute mo kanashikute mo… ganbatte ganbatte, tatoe inochi wo ushinau yō na koto ga attatte kono nihon no ryōude de mamoritōsunda!! …Soshitara, tatoe shundatte otoko ga ikita akashi wa soko ni nokoru… eien ni…")
- First Databook, page 58
- Naruto chapter 20, pages 4-18
- Naruto chapter 20, page 10