|(殻, Kara, literally meaning: Shell or Husk)|
|Manga||Volume #4, Boruto Chapter #15|
|Anime||Boruto Episode #151|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga|
Kara (殻, Viz: The Husk, literally meaning: "Shell" or "Husk") is a secret society founded by Isshiki Ōtsutsuki. Though their motive-of-operation remains largely unknown, according to Koji Kashin their agenda carries a sinister intent for the world at large, as they plot to cultivate a new God Tree huge enough to devour all life on Earth. Isshiki also states the Inners became affiliated with the organisation to fulfil their personal self-interests and collectively agreed they would acquire the God Tree's chakra fruit.
The group is made up of "Inners" (内陣, Innā) and "Outers" (外陣, Autō), with each of the Inners being in charge of a particular region. Each Inner appears to bear a facial tattoo of a Roman numeral and wears a black hooded cloak with coloured lining, fastened at the right shoulder with a metal pin; all Inners are regarded as completely monstrous in power.
Outers are individuals who assist Kara from the outside to complete missions requested by the Inners, acting as conspirators, sleeper agents, and spies. Members include politicians and merchants, some of whom actively work to undermine the rule of the Daimyō and Kage. Outers are also partly responsible for the widespread development and proliferation of Scientific Ninja Tools; as the Outers include engineers and scientists from various villages, they are able to significantly develop and improve the tools before bringing them back to Kara, leading to them possessing the latest in technology and engineering.
The secret society has accumulated a great deal of wealth and political influence, makes use of Scientific Ninja Tools, and communicates over long range via genjutsu.
- Isshiki Ōtsutsuki, the leader of Kara and an ancient Ōtsutsuki who originally came to Earth with Kaguya Ōtsutsuki. His current goal is to restore himself via his Kāma and a suitable new host body.
- Jigen, the former vessel for the de-facto leader of the organisation. He had the Roman numeral Ⅳ tattooed under his left eye. He was killed by Koji, leading to Isshiki's resurrection through Jigen's corpse.
- Delta, a woman with long, curly hair and prosthetic eyes. She has a tattoo of the Roman numeral Ⅰ in the centre of her forehead.
- Code, a cocky young man with dishevelled hair and a craniofacial prosthetic who has the Roman numeral Ⅵ under his right eye.
- Deepa, a tall pale man with the Roman numeral Ⅶ below his eyes. He was defeated by Boruto, Sarada, and Mitsuki. (Anime only)
- Victor, a short, stocky, elderly man with an eye-patch over his right eye and a prosthetic right leg. He had a tattoo of the Roman numeral Ⅴ on his left temple, and was known for his regeneration technique. In the anime, Deepa implies he gained his position due to a large investment from his medical care manufacturing company. He was burned to death by Koji Kashin.
- Boro, a giant, gregarious man with a beard and moustache. He had a trio of tattoos on his face that appear to form the Roman numeral Ⅲ. He was killed by Boruto's Rasengan.
- Koji Kashin, a genetic clone created from the DNA samples of Jiraiya, whose sole goal is to eliminate Isshiki. He was an Inner prior to his defection, in charge of the Land of Fire sector. He has lines under his eyes that appear to form the Roman numeral Ⅱ.
- Amado, a genius scientist that served as Jigen's right hand and the head of the organisation's research and development division. He developed advanced Shinobi-Ware for Kara and is responsible for the creation of all its cyborgs. Under Jigen, he was never granted leave, and is thought to know everything about the organisation. He has since formally defected to Konohagakure. He was an Inner prior to his defection.
- Garashi Tōno, an orphaned civilian from Amegakure who believes in Kara's ideals. Despite his absolute loyalty to the organisation, Garashi was used simply to ensure no one knew of their work in the village, thus sacrificing him in the process. (Anime only)
- Victor's Secretary, who works at Victor’s company in the Land of Valleys. She was killed by Orochimaru. (Anime only)
- Iwa Doctor, the doctor who worked with the retired Third Tsuchikage Ōnoki, to create the Fabrications and Akuta. He later went to work for Victor's company in the Land of Valleys. He was left to be consumed by Victor's artificial God Tree. (Anime only)
- Ao, a war veteran from Kirigakure. He was killed by Koji's Boiler Toad summon after pushing Boruto away from harm. He was killed by Koji Kashin after being defeated by Boruto.
- Garō, an associate of Delta who had prior interaction with Kawaki and was killed by him after a short fight.
- The kanji used for the two divisions of the organisation are naijin (内陣) and gejin (外陣), respectively referring to the sanctum and the nave of a Heian-style Buddhist temple. When broken into individual kanji, they can be read literally as "inner team" and "outer team".
- While not a member, Kawaki has a Roman numeral Ⅸ tattoo, which is located under his left eye.
- Additionally, while viewed by Kara as just the vessel, Kawaki apparently held some access to Kara's information, as he noted that he had read Kara's files to learn about Tailed Beasts.
- While Katasuke Tōno was never a direct member and was placed under genjutsu by a Kara agent, this made him act on the group's objectives which revolved around the development of scientific ninja tools and industrial espionage.
- Before Boruto became Momoshiki Ōtsutsuki's vessel, Kara was pressed for time in their goal. Boro noted that Boruto's status has very well relaxed their time limit.
- Originally, Isshiki intended to feed himself to the Ten-Tails to have it bloom into the God Tree after losing Kaguya's aid and there being no other Ōtsutsuki to sacrifice. However, with his body being so critically and irreparably damaged by Kaguya and his vessel of Jigen being incompatible with the Kāma, it would ultimately produce an inferior Chakra Fruit. Boruto's status shifted Kara's plans to feeding him instead as his healthier and stronger body along with being compatible with the Kāma would result in a more potent Chakra Fruit.
- Boruto volume 11, page 130
- Boruto chapter 39, page 18
- Boruto chapter 39, page 19
- Boruto chapter 45, page 35
- Boruto chapter 31, page 3
- Boruto volume 10
- Boruto chapter 45, pages 12-13
- Boruto chapter 40, page 30
- Boruto chapter 51