Lightning Release (雷遁, Raiton, English TV: Lightning Style) is one of the five basic elemental nature transformation techniques that allows the user to generate lightning by increasing the high frequency vibrations of their chakra, allowing for piercing damage and fast movement. The electricity paralyses the target so that they are unable to move and leaves them vulnerable to a finishing strike. While uncommon, lightning can be infused into bladed weapons in a way similar to Wind Release through chakra flow for increased piercing power through vibrations, with the added effect of inducing numbness. When the technique is released from their bodies, and thus not requiring physical contact, it does not move as fast as true lightning. Instead, due to the control the user has to exert over it, it moves far slower, which can give opponents time to still react. Lightning Release is common to the ninja of Kumogakure.
Relationship with other Natures
- Lightning is strong against earth, because it can easily travel through and break the ground apart. However, it is weak against wind because it is a natural electrical insulator. At the same time, lightning can potentially surpass the penetrative force of wind by increasing the former's vibration frequency high enough.
- Lightning also has a unique relation with water, since water conducts electricity. This means that a Water Release technique can be used to increase the damage of a Lightning Release technique and vice versa. Though this also means that if one's opponent still has a physical connection with the water, either a pre-existing source or one created with their own chakra, then they can be paralysed via their own technique.
- Lightning is much more powerful when it utilises natural lightning; a powerful Fire Release technique shot into the sky can produce thunderclouds in preparation for this.
- Lightning-natured chakra is a component of the Storm Release and Explosion Release kekkei genkai.
- The Third Raikage utilised Black Lightning, which he taught to Darui.
- Under the influence of Six Paths Chakra, Lightning Release techniques undergo a change in colour, becoming black instead of light blue, as seen with Sasuke's Chidori and Kakashi's Kamui Lightning Cutter.
- In the anime, it was stated that Limelight is considered to be the most powerful and destructive of all Lightning Release techniques.
- In Naruto Shinden: Family Day, Chōji Akimichi says it's a bad idea for Lightning Release users to wear metallic accessories, such as earrings.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 422, pages 15-16
- ↑ Naruto chapter 308, pages 4-5
- ↑ Naruto chapter 308, page 9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 412, pages 14-15
- ↑ Naruto chapter 463, page 9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 411, pages 16-17
- ↑ Naruto chapter 470, page 12
- ↑ Naruto chapter 473, page 4
- ↑ Naruto chapter 334, pages 15-16
- ↑ Naruto chapter 384, pages 10-11
- ↑ Naruto chapter 461, page 2
- ↑ Naruto chapter 391, page 7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 391, pages 3-5
- ↑ Naruto chapter 526, page 3
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 66