Medical ninjutsu (医療忍術, Iryō Ninjutsu, literally meaning: Medical Ninja Techniques) is a branch of ninjutsu associated with healing, as well as the manipulation of their own, or another's body, practised by shinobi categorised as "medical-nin". The use of medical ninjutsu requires very advanced chakra control, as well as extensive knowledge on such things as herbs, medicines, the human body and even poisons.
The knowledge of medical ninjutsu can be used for a variety of purposes apart from simply healing. It can be used to create poisonous gas, deranging the target's nervous system, or directly attacking a target with chakra scalpels. Tsunade, renowned as the greatest medical-nin in the world, was able to apply the extreme chakra control required for medical ninjutsu to create chakra-enhanced strength, an ability she taught to her student, Sakura Haruno.
- The Creation Rebirth technique is considered to be the absolute pinnacle of all medical ninjutsu, and the ultimate regeneration technique.
- The cells of Hashirama Senju possess an immense Regeneration Ability that requires no hand seals; a feat initially believed to be impossible even for Tsunade, though she was able to emulate it through the use of her Ninja Art Creation Rebirth — Strength of a Hundred Technique.
- In the manga, medical ninjutsu has been shown to be coloured blue, as opposed to the anime which depicts them as green.
- According to Yamato, medical ninjutsu uses either Yin or Yang Release.
- Second Databook, page 242
- Naruto chapter 576, page 15
- Naruto chapter 578, page 6
- Naruto volume 59
- Naruto chapter 316, page 9