Menma can bring to life nine different entities composed of the Black Nine-Tails' chakra. Menma refers to the beasts he created, the Nine Masked Beasts (九面獣, Kyūmenjū). Five of the creatures are described as divine beasts (神獣, shinjū), while the other four are referred to as divine priests (神官, shinkan).
- Seiryū (青龍), the Azure Dragon, is a dragon that resembles a seahorse.
- Byakko (白虎), the White Tiger, is a lean and slender tiger.
- Suzaku (朱雀), the Vermilion Bird, is a bird with elegant and dramatic plumage.
- Genbu (玄武), the Black Tortoise, is a tortoise with a shell made of overlapping plates.
- Kinja (金蛇), the Golden Snake, is a massive serpent with golden scales.
- Tennyo (天女), the Celestial Maiden, is an angelic priestess with flowing robes.
- Shinigami (死神), the Grim Reaper, is a priest that resembles a skeleton and carries a scythe.
- Hokuto Sennin (北斗仙人), the Northern Sage, is a priest with a fox staff.
- Nanto Sennin (南斗仙人), the Southern Sage, the matching counterpart of Hokuto Sennin.
When defeated, their true forms are revealed to simply be masked fox kits (子狐, kogitsune) that each possesses a single tail, a result of the Black Nine-Tails' chakra being divided into nine beings.
- The diagram on the back of Menma's cloak is the same diagram that is appears when he creates the Nine Masked Beasts.
- ↑ Naruto Stealth Volume: Road to Ninja (ＮＡＲＵＴＯ―ナルト―巻ノ忍 ＲＯＡＤ ＴＯ ＮＩＮＪＡ, Naruto Maki no Shinobi: Road to Ninja) page 77