The Orochimaru-Style Body Replacement Technique is a unique form of substitution that was created by Orochimaru.
Used primarily after sustaining massive injury or as a means to elude a seemingly inescapable attack, this technique allows the user to materialise a new body — typically by regurgitating it from their mouth — in a manner that somewhat resembles how a snake sheds its skin. After emerging, the user's clothing and injuries are completely restored, with even amputated limbs being regenerated. Whilst the technique has the additional advantage of potentially being extremely difficult to detect, its use consumes a great amount of chakra. The technique can seemingly be used no matter how serious the injury, as Orochimaru was able to use it to materialise a new body even after Kabuto cut his throat open and grievously injured his body.
When used by Kabuto Yakushi, who showed a more versatile use of this technique, he was able to shed his human form to reveal a humanoid-like form complete with a serpentine body. He later appeared with a similar serpentine body with what seemed to be smaller limbs. He would later use this technique to shed his body during battle as a means of taking his opponent by surprise.
- The technique and its nature of normally negating near-fatal injuries play with the cultural symbolism of snakes as symbols of immortality and rebirth via the shedding of their skin.
- Naruto chapter 390, page 16
- Naruto chapter 294, pages 7-8
- Naruto chapter 584, page 14
- Naruto chapter 514, pages 11-14
- Naruto chapter 514, page 17
- Naruto chapter 586, page 10