When this technique is activated, the King of Hell emerges from the ground and releases the souls of the deceased from its mouth. These souls may be recalled from even the crossroad between life and the afterlife, and are then returned to their rejuvenated bodies. The exact limitations of this technique are unknown, but on one occasion, it was able to resurrect a large number of individuals who had recently died. While using this technique, the caster is severely weakened; for instance, Nagato's hair turned white as a result of overexerting his power. Ultimately, once the technique is finished, the user invariably dies.
This technique can also be used to transform the corpse vessel of an individual revived by Summoning: Impure World Reincarnation into a real body of living flesh and blood. However, whereas the rest of the reincarnated Madara Uchiha's body was made real, his eyes instead crumbled into dust upon his resurrection.
- When written as '輪廻転生', Rinne Tensei means "the circle of transmigration" or "metempsychosis".
- Hashirama Senju identified this technique as a Six Paths Kinjutsu (六道の禁術, Rikudō no Kinjutsu, Literally meaning: Six Paths Forbidden Technique).
- When Nagato was preparing to use this technique, Konan feared for the worst due to his low chakra levels, implying she believed he could have potentially survived with more chakra. However, according to the fourth databook, usage of this technique always comes at the cost of the user's life.
- Madara — and Obito under the guise of Madara — noted that this technique was supposed to be used to revive him. Madara would eventually be revived by Impure World Reincarnation instead, and expressed surprise and disappointment that his return didn't go as planned, as only a living person can become the Ten-Tails' jinchūriki. Eventually, Black Zetsu successfully forced Obito to perform this technique on Madara. Obito was then able to temporarily survive the effects of using this technique due to Black Zetsu attaching to his body.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jin no Sho, page 251
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Naruto chapter 449
- ↑ Naruto chapter 510, page 17
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Naruto chapter 614, pages 5-6
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Naruto chapter 656, pages 14-17
- ↑ Naruto chapter 657, page 1
- ↑ Naruto chapter 637, page 2
- ↑ Naruto chapter 453, page 18
- ↑ Naruto chapter 601, page 11
- ↑ Naruto chapter 559, pages 1-2
- ↑ Naruto chapter 657, page 10