|Rinne Sharingan |
|Literal English||Saṃsāra Copy Wheel Eye|
|Other||Eye of the Moon (月の眼, Tsuki no Me)|
|Manga||Volume #50, Naruto Chapter #467|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #205|
|Movie||The Last: Naruto the Movie|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game, Movie|
|Classification||Kekkei Mōra, Dōjutsu|
The Rinne Sharingan (輪廻写輪眼, literally meaning: Saṃsāra Copy Wheel Eye) is a dōjutsu kekkei mōra and the predecessor to the Rinnegan and Sharingan. It is characterised by red sclerae and irides, with a ripple pattern spreading over the eyeball and nine tomoe.
This dōjutsu was first manifested by Kaguya Ōtsutsuki as a third eye on her forehead after eating the chakra fruit of the God Tree. It was also possessed by the Ten-Tails, the result of Kaguya merging with the God Tree. According to the stone tablet handed down in the Uchiha clan, when one who wields the power of Rinne approaches the moon, the eye which can reflect off the moon and grant the infinite dream will open. This was proven true when Madara Uchiha, as the Ten-Tails' jinchūriki, was able to manifest this dōjutsu in his own forehead after regaining both of his Rinnegan. As a result of Black Zetsu's actions, Madara's body then served as a vessel for the resurrected Kaguya, who retained the Rinne Sharingan. When Naruto Uzumaki and Sasuke Uchiha later used the Six Paths — Chibaku Tensei to seal Kaguya, her third eye was closed by a horizontal eyelid with the appearance of a sun and moon under the effects of the technique.
The Rinne Sharingan possesses the ocular power of the Sharingan, and can be used to cast the Infinite Tsukuyomi, an extremely powerful genjutsu which can only be countered by the Rinnegan and the chakra of the nine tailed beasts. Using this dōjutsu, Kaguya can transport herself and those in her vicinity to a series of alternate dimensions.
- While the term "Rinne Sharingan" does not appear in the manga or anime, this dōjutsu is named as such in the Fourth Databook.
- Sasuke referred to the Infinite Tsukuyomi as a genjutsu cast by the Rinnegan.
- Some subjects that possess a ripple-pattern eye design with six tomoe have been recognised by Sasuke to be in possession of Rinnegan. These subjects are Sasuke himself, Kara's Ten-Tails, and, in the anime, Urashiki. The Fourth Databook also states Sasuke possesses Rinnegan.
- The kanji "Rin" (輪, literally meaning: Wheel) is also used in Sharingan and Rinnegan, potentially linking the three terms etymologically.
- In the Ten-Tails' debut appearance as a silhouette, its eye was shown to contain nine tomoe. However, following its revival, the beast's eye was consistently depicted with only six tomoe. When the Ten-Tails entered its final form, the God Tree, its eye was shown to possess nine tomoe once more.
- Despite not possessing the Rinne Sharingan himself, Obito Uchiha attempted to cast the Infinite Tsukuyomi by manifesting a construct of the God Tree outside of his body as the Ten-Tails' jinchūriki.
- There have been a number of times the dōjutsu has been depicted incorrectly:
- During the Ten-Tails' battle with Hagoromo and Hamura Ōtsutsuki, its eye was depicted with at least four rows of tomoe.
- After casting the Infinite Tsukuyomi, Madara's Rinne Sharingan was depicted with only six tomoe.
- On various occasions, Kaguya's Rinne Sharingan was depicted with six or three tomoe.
- The eye in the crystal ball used to cast the Limited Tsukuyomi contained seven tomoe, possibly reflecting the number of tailed beasts captured by Akatsuki.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 and Naruto: Shinobi Collection Shippū Ranbu, Sasuke's Rinnegan is erroneously referred to as a Rinne Sharingan.
- Fourth Databook, page 230
- Naruto chapter 564, pages 16-17
- Naruto chapter 676, pages 16-17
- Naruto chapter 679, pages 10-13
- Naruto chapter 690, page 2
- Naruto chapter 671, page 8
- Naruto chapter 677, page 14
- Naruto chapter 692, page 7
- Naruto chapter 682, pages 9-11
- Naruto chapter 678, page 11
- Boruto chapter 35, page 31
- Fourth Databook, page 55
- Naruto chapter 467, page 14
- Naruto chapter 609, pages 16-17
- Naruto chapter 646, page 12
- Naruto chapter 646
- Naruto chapter 670, page 11
- Naruto chapter 678, pages 12-16
- Naruto chapter 681, page 5
- Naruto chapter 682, page 2
- Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie