Sage Art: Gate of the Great God is a sealing technique utilised by Hashirama Senju while in Sage Mode.
The user manifests a select number of massive red torii that fall down from above, in order to pin an intended target between the gate and the ground. The size and strength of these torii is such that they can even be used to immobilise the Ten-Tails. These torii are quite versatile and can be used in several different ways, this was displayed after Obito Uchiha became the beast's jinchūriki, Hashirama piled the torii atop one another in an attempt to increase their ability to immobilise the target.
The exact number and size of the torii involved in this technique can vary dependent upon what the user specifies:
- Seal Ten (封十, Fūtō, Viz: Ten Seals): Creates ten torii that can be used to pin several individual targets simultaneously.
- Seal Head (封頭, Fūtō, Viz: Head Seal): Creates a single, large torii, intended to pin the target's neck beneath it, so as to immobilise their head. Afterwards, the target is imbued with natural energy to stop it from resisting.
- The 頭 kanji, used in the "Seal Head" variant of the technique, is also used as a counter for large animals.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution, the colour of torii are grey instead of red, as portrayed in the manga and anime. This was corrected in Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4.
- Fourth Databook, page 264
- Naruto chapter 638, pages 10-11
- Naruto chapter 631, pages 9-11
- Naruto chapter 632, page 10