Scrolls (巻物, Makimono) remain one of the most important pieces of equipment in a ninja's arsenal. The average-sized scroll is small enough that several can be carried at the same time, either in a flak jacket or in a pouch. Larger scrolls are usually carried on the ninja's back. In addition to writing on scrolls, ninja use them to summon creatures, people, and items, making transportation easier and providing more options when on a mission. Some techniques can also be stored in scrolls.
The scrolls are an integral part of the Shinobi Gauntlet, a high-tech, forearm-mounted ninja tool that allows users to store techniques inside scrolls, which are then shrunken to pill-size and put inside the Kote. Afterwards, they can release the scroll and use any sealed techniques within the scrolls without chakra.
- While looking for Itachi, Sasuke handed Suigetsu a summoning scroll containing the same seal as Orochimaru's summoning tattoo, and some of his blood. With these, Suigetsu was able to summon Manda after Sasuke used him to escape Deidara's C0.
- To get around his initial five minutes limit in Sage Mode, Naruto devised a strategy to have back-up shadow clones moulding senjutsu chakra. Once his own senjutsu chakra was spent, Naruto used a scroll to summon these clones and dispersed them, reclaiming their senjutsu chakra and entering Sage Mode again. Fukasaku was also able to summon them, as Naruto has a contract with toads.
- Enclosing Technique
- Fire Sealing Method
- Red Secret Technique: Performance of a Hundred Puppets
- Unsealing Technique
- White Secret Technique: The Chikamatsu Collection of Ten Puppets
- Starting in Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, the Earth and Heaven Scrolls from the Chūnin Exams appear as custom Substitution items.
- Naruto chapter 576, page 15
- Naruto chapter 508, page 14
- Naruto chapter 363, pages 10-11
- Naruto chapter 433, pages 6-10