Scrolls (巻物, Makimono) remain one of the most important pieces of equipment in a ninja's arsenal. The average-sized scroll is small enough that several can be carried at the same time, either in a flak jacket or in a pouch. Larger scrolls are usually carried on the ninja's back. In addition to writing on scrolls, ninja use them to summon creatures, people, and items, making transportation easier and providing more options when on a mission. Some techniques can also be stored in scrolls.
In Boruto: Naruto the Movie, scrolls are an integral part of the Kote, a high-tech, forearm-mounted ninja tool that allows users to store techniques inside scrolls, which are then shrunken to pill-size and is put inside the Kote. Afterwards, they can release the scroll and use any sealed techniques within the scrolls without chakra.
- Exploding Dragon Strike
- Fire Sealing Method
- Four-Corner Sealing Barrier
- Manipulated Tools: Binding Meteor
- Manipulated Tools: Heavenly Chain Disaster
- Red Secret Technique: Performance of a Hundred Puppets
- Twin Rising Dragons
- Unsealing Technique: Segmented Iron Dome
- White Secret Technique: The Chikamatsu Collection of Ten Puppets