This technique allows the user's spirit to leave their body. Versatile in application, this technique can be used in a variety of ways, depending on the user's intentions. By taking possession of a target, the spirit is able to suppress and collapse the victim's spirit, killing them. Should the user intend to, possessing a victim can instead enable the former to freely manipulate their actions. This technique can also be used to communicate information or transfer chakra. Regardless of where the target is, this technique will always reach the who the user intends it to, even if the user has no idea where they are. Having become a living ghost, the spirit has no substance and cannot be affected by enemy attacks.
With the release of the Summoning: Impure World Reincarnation technique, a reincarnated Dan was capable of taking control of his ascending spirit for a short period of time using this technique. Dan Katō noted that this technique had been used to kill a great number of shinobi during his lifetime and that the only way to counteract the technique is to trap the user within a barrier, such as the Four Violet Flames Formation, before it is activated.
- Dan's ability to cause his soul to exit his body makes him reminiscent of an "ikiryō" (生霊, literally meaning: living ghost), from Japanese folklore. An ikiryō is a person whose soul can dwell outside his or her body.
- Tobirama Senju is capable of using a similar technique, where he can send his soul into another person's body if they were still alive, but unlike this technique, it is labelled a kinjutsu.
- Fourth Databook, page 312
- Naruto chapter 591, pages 7-13
- Naruto chapter 591, pages 6-7
- Naruto chapter 530, page 7
- Naruto chapter 663, page 8