The stone tablet (石碑, sekihi) is a monument which was created by Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki in order to discourage his son's descendants from attempting to recreate the Rinnegan. The tablet can only be deciphered fully by the Rinnegan, while the Sharingan and Mangekyō Sharingan are able to partially decipher it.
Some time after Hagoromo's death, certain details on the tablet were forged by Black Zetsu as part of its plan to revive Kaguya Ōtsutsuki. The tablet eventually fell into the possession of the Uchiha clan, the descendants of Indra Ōtsutsuki, where it was secretly passed down for generations. After the formation of Konohagakure, the tablet was kept in the underground bunker of the Naka Shrine for decades, before being relocated to a forest.
- The secrets of the Mangekyō Sharingan, such as instructions on how to obtain it, and its ability to control the tailed beasts.
- The story of the Sage of Six Paths, Kaguya and the God Tree.
- The secrets of Madara Uchiha's body.
- Warnings regarding Kaguya's Infinite Tsukuyomi.
- The Uchiha would be saved by the Infinite Tsukuyomi (written by Black Zetsu).
- The secrets of the Uchiha clan.
- Warnings about the misfortune that Sharingan can bring (anime only).
More specifically, the following sentences were quoted:
- "Seeking stability, one god was divided into yin and yang, these opposing two acting together obtain all things in creation" (“一つの神が安定を求め陰と陽に分極した 相反する二つは作用し合い森羅万象を得る”, "Hitotsu no kami ga antei o motome in to yō ni bunkyokushita, aihansuru futatsu wa sayōshiai shinra banshō o eru")
- "When someone who possesses the power of Saṃsāra approaches the moon, an eye will open that is reflected on the moon to grant the eternal dream." (「輪廻の力を持つ者が月に近づきし時、無限の夢を叶えるための月に映せし眼が開く」, "Rinne no chikara o motsu mono ga tsuki ni chikazukishi toki, mugen no yume o kanaeru tame no tsuki ni utsuseshi me ga hiraku.")
- Despite having neither the Rinnegan, nor the Sharingan, Black Zetsu was able to read and rewrite the text on the tablet.
- Kabuto Yakushi and Orochimaru, while unable to read the tablet, managed to come up with a hypothesis of the secrets based on many years of research.
- Obito (as Madara) states that the creation of the moon using the Chibaku Tensei was written on the tablet; however, Black Zetsu later reveals that the Six Paths — Chibaku Tensei was the real cause. It is unknown whether Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki really wrote that version or Black Zetsu merely rewrote that part. In a similar matter Madara states that Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki acted alone defeating the Ten-Tails without mentioning Hamura Ōtsutsuki.
- Naruto chapter 671, page 7
- Naruto chapter 681, page 10
- Naruto chapter 625, page 14
- Boruto chapter 2, page 22
- Naruto chapter 646, pages 7-9
- Naruto chapter 385, pages 14-15
- Naruto chapter 467, pages 12-15
- Naruto chapter 560, page 15
- Naruto chapter 673
- Naruto chapter 681, page 11
- Naruto chapter 225, pages 3-4
- Naruto chapter 385, pages 1-2
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 468
- Fourth databook, page 63