|This is the article on the sword wielded by Orochimaru. For the chokutō wielded by Sasuke Uchiha, head to Sword of Kusanagi. For other uses, see Sword of Kusanagi.|
The Kusanagi Sword is the Kusanagi of Japanese legend. Orochimaru retrieves his Kusanagi by opening his mouth and extending a snake which then opens its mouth and produces the sword. Orochimaru was seen producing the sword handle first so he could use it freely, or blade first to attack his opponent instantly.
The sword can quickly extend and retract its blade to attack from long distances, be controlled telekinetically according to Orochimaru's command, and cut through almost anything. Even Enma, who is able to transform into a diamond-hard staff, noted that the Kusanagi blade would leave him considerably sore. It should be noted that Orochimaru's Kusanagi could not pierce Naruto Uzumaki's four-tailed form. The sword has been seen transforming into a small snake and returning to Orochimaru.
After Orochimaru re-emerged from Sasuke Uchiha through his Eight Branches Technique, he was sealed by Itachi Uchiha's Sword of Totsuka. As a result, the Kusanagi was subsequently sealed with him. As he was brought back via the Evil Releasing Method, the fate of the sword is unknown.
The Kusanagi no Tsurugi (草薙劍, literally meaning: Grass-Mowing Sword) is one of the Three Imperial Regalia of Japan (三種の神器, Sanshu no Jingi), together with the Yata no Kagami (八咫鏡, literally meaning: Eight Span Mirror) and the Yasakani no Magatama (八尺瓊曲玉, literally meaning: Eight Shaku Curved Jewel).
- The Kusanagi appears differently from the manga to the anime. In the manga, the Kusanagi looks more like a standard katana with a circular hand-guard, while in the anime it is a double-edged jian. Due to the name of the sword, its appearance in the anime would have been more true to its counterpart, as a 'tsurugi' is a double-edged sword.
- Sasuke Uchiha refers to the chokutō he carries as a "Sword of Kusanagi", but it carries none of the unique attributes that Orochimaru's does.
- The Totsuka Sword wielded by Itachi Uchiha's Susanoo is also said to be a "Sword of Kusanagi", although this has been commonly mistranslated as it being the "perfect counter" to the Sword of Kusanagi.
- Naruto chapter 120, page 12
- Naruto chapter 296, page 3
- Naruto chapter 297, page 5