|This is the article on the technique. For the chapter, head to The Tailed Beast Ball.|
Tailed Beast Balls are made from an 8:2 ratio of positive black chakra (+の黒チャクラ, purasu no kuro chakura) and negative white chakra (−の白チャクラ, mainasu no shiro chakura). Users must gather and balance this chakra in their mouths, shape it into a sphere (or a conical shape in the case of the Ten-Tails), and then fire it at their target; Gyūki likens this to vomiting. Most users fire their Tailed Beast Balls as-is, while others may consume the ball and fire it from their mouth as a beam, focusing the attack on a narrower area instead of letting it detonate all around upon impact. Gyūki is even shown doing something in between, not consuming its Tailed Beast Ball yet still firing it out in a wave. There is no limit to how much chakra can be put into a Tailed Beast Ball so long as the 8:2 ratio is maintained: Kurama has shown to be able to create a Tailed Beast Ball many times bigger than itself when using a significant amount of chakra. Tailed Beasts can also combine their Tailed Beast Balls to form it into a very large one.
Tailed Beast Balls are incredibly dense, so much so that despite being suspended in the air, they instantly crater the ground beneath the user due to their extreme weight. Despite how heavy they are, they move at an incredible rate once fired. When used by the Ten-Tails, the Tailed Beast Ball was able to cross several miles in only a few seconds. Tailed Beast Balls are very destructive, creating explosions that are visible from far away and that vaporise almost everything in the blast area. The extent of the damage is dependent upon how the ball is fired and how much chakra it has, but its "standard" size is enough to destroy mountains. Tailed Beast Balls are comparatively weaker if a jinchūriki uses one without entering their Tailed Beast Mode, yet it is still enough to represent a serious threat to people and infrastructures.
Some jinchūriki are shown using Tailed Beast Balls in atypical ways. As the Ten-Tails' jinchūriki, Obito Uchiha is able to form multiple Tailed Beast Balls at once via a tree he creates, each of which can fire in a different direction. Naruto, when using his Nine-Tails Chakra Mode, can form a Tailed Beast Ball with his hands, similar to how he makes the Rasengan. He can also add natural energy to his Tailed Beast Balls, making them more powerful, while also allowing them to be used against Truth-Seeking Balls. In the anime, Sora uses an entirely white Tailed Beast Ball while transformed under the influence of the Nine-Tails' chakra.
Video Games Variations
- In Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Gaara is able to form Shukaku's head out of sand and through it create a Tailed Beast Ball.
- In Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Gyūki performs a Lightning Release version of this technique.
- In Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Saiken performs a variation of this technique utilising Utakata's Soap Bubble Ninjutsu.
- In Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Naruto and Sasuke perform a variation of this technique wherein the Tailed Beast Ball is coated with Sasuke's Amaterasu and the Tailed Beasts' specific chakra types are added to the ball. This was used against Madara Uchiha's gigantic Chibaku Tensei.
- Minato Namikaze based the Rasengan off of the Tailed Beast Ball. Killer B observes that the process for forming a Rasengan is exactly the same as forming a Tailed Beast Ball, with its chakra rotation acting as a substitute for the tailed beast form.
- In the manga, the Tailed Beast Ball is formed from positive black chakra and negative white chakra, and the completed ball is black. In the anime, it is formed from positive blue chakra and negative red chakra, and the completed ball is purple. In some instances, it is depicted taking on a red colour upon being fired.
- In J-Stars Victory VS, Naruto's Tailed Beast Ball uses the manga's colour scheme, but glows yellow upon being fired.
- Shukaku and Son Gokū are the only tailed beasts not seen using a Tailed Beast Ball in the manga. However, they do so in an anime-only dream world created by the Infinite Tsukuyomi.
- In Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Orochimaru is capable of using a similar attack when using his Eight Branches Technique.
- In the anime, one of the Infinite Tsukuyomi's dream worlds depicts the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path using this technique.
- Fourth Databook, pages 282-283
- Naruto chapter 519, pages 16-17
- Naruto chapter 519, page 12
- Naruto chapter 414, pages 6-9
- Naruto chapter 499, page 13
- Naruto chapter 571, pages 11-12
- Naruto chapter 295, page 2
- Naruto, chapter 571, page 12
- Naruto chapter 613, pages 11-15
- Naruto chapter 613, pages 8-12
- Naruto chapter 571, page 3
- Naruto chapter 438, pages 7-9
- Naruto chapter 643, page 7
- Naruto chapter 598, page 10
- Naruto chapter 695, page 13
- Naruto chapter 645, page 12
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 71
- Volume 55 cover
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 264
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 329
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 430