A tomoe or the archaic writing tomoye (巴) is a Japanese abstract shape, usually used as a necklace, (i.e. a swirl) that resembles a comma or the usual form of magatama. Tomoe are usually seen in a design of three known as mitsudomoe (三つ巴).
Instances of Use
- They form the pattern of the Sharingan, Rinne Sharingan and some Rinnegan.
- They form the Cursed Seal of Heaven.
- They are on Madara Uchiha's gunbai.
- The Three Giant Snakes have tomoe markings on their heads.
- Orochimaru himself wore blue tomoe-shaped earrings.
- The magatama earrings worn by Itachi's Susanoo are in the shape of tomoe.
- The Yasaka Magatama technique used by Itachi and Madara's Susanoo is a giant shuriken in the shape of a mitsudomoe. After transplanting Itachi's eyes, Sasuke has used his Susanoo to fire tomoe-shaped projectiles made of Amaterasu's flames.
- All the variations of Nine-Tails Chakra Mode shrouds feature tomoe-like markings around their collars. Same goes for Tenseigan Chakra Mode.
- The Sage of the Six Paths had tomoe-like markings around the collar of his cloak as well as nine tomoe of the back underneath the symbol of the Rinnegan; the same held true for both Obito and Madara Uchiha after they became the Ten-Tails' jinchūriki, and for Naruto Uzumaki when he enters Six Paths Sage Mode.
- A seal that the Sage of Six Paths stood in the middle of while talking to the nine tailed beasts also featured the use of tomoe markings.
- The holes for eyes in Tobi's mask during the Fourth Shinobi World War are tomoe-shaped.
- There are tomoe-shaped markings around the kanji for "fox" in the Uchiha Hideout.
- They are used on the doorway of the Ridge Tower.
- The structure containing Jigen's Ten-Tails has six tomoe resembling its dōjutsu.
- In the anime, the Kohaku clan's insignia is a futatsudomoe (tomoe in a design of two).
- In the anime, later depictions of Pakura's Scorch Release: Extremely Steaming Murder changed the flaming orbs into flaming tomoe shapes.
- In the anime, after the months long battle against the Ten-Tails, Hagoromo creates the nine tailed beasts and they are shown to be small creatures sleeping within tomoe that Hagoromo then absorbs into himself.
- In Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles 2, the Shirogane clan's insignia is a golden mitsudomoe.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 574, page 10
- ↑ Naruto chapter 505, page 8
- ↑ Naruto chapter 571, pages 8-9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 631, page 8
- ↑ Retsu no Sho, page 19
- ↑ The Last: Naruto the Movie
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Naruto chapter 572, pages 12-13
- ↑ Naruto chapter 638, page 4
- ↑ Naruto chapter 640, page 14
- ↑ Naruto chapter 663, pages 14-15
- ↑ Naruto chapter 673, pages 14-18
- ↑ Naruto chapter 511, page 16
- ↑ Naruto chapter 384, page 14
- ↑ Naruto chapter 700+4, page 16
- ↑ Boruto chapter 35, page 21
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 285
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 462
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.