Truth-Seeking Balls are orbs of malleable black chakra, which can alter their form and characteristics in various ways. Though only the size of a fist, each hides within it the power to obliterate an entire forest.
Those who awaken Six Paths Senjutsu are able to wield Truth-Seeking Balls. Hagoromo and Hamura Ōtsutsuki appear to have possessed this power naturally, whereas others may obtain it by becoming the jinchūriki of the Ten-Tails, or by receiving it directly from Hagoromo. Entering Tenseigan Chakra Mode also grants the user Truth-Seeking Balls.
The number of Truth-Seeking Balls acquired varies from user to user. Acquisition method may determine the number, as both Obito Uchiha and Madara Uchiha gained ten orbs upon becoming the Ten-Tails' jinchūriki; Obito initially only formed two, obtaining the other eight upon gaining control of the Ten-Tails' power. Naruto Uzumaki, as well as Asura Ōtsutsuki in the anime, instead gained nine orbs upon receiving power from Hagoromo, while Toneri Ōtsutsuki is depicted with an inconsistent amount. Due to having previously been the Ten-Tails' jinchūriki, Obito was able to absorb some of Madara's power, allowing him to transform part of Black Zetsu into a single Truth-Seeking Ball.
When not in use, Truth-Seeking Balls generally float behind the user's back in a circular formation, though two of Obito's float behind his hands, Hagoromo's float beneath him while levitating, and Hamura's instead form a sigmoidal formation. The orbs are always on standby once created, and users cannot create additional orbs after the initial acquisition number; thus, orbs that are lost for whatever reason cannot be replaced. In Naruto's case, the orbs currently under his control disappear and reappear alongside his chakra cloak, while the orbs he has discarded remain active. Clones are not created with orbs of their own, though the user can temporarily transfer them to a clone.
Truth-Seeking Balls encompass the power of all five basic natures, and as such they surpass both kekkei genkai and kekkei tōta. By combining the various natures inside the orbs, it is possible to produce a variety of effects. They are capable of instantly turning anything they touch to dust in a manner similar to Dust Release, though this does not always occur. If imbued with with a certain Yin–Yang Release jutsu, the orbs can nullify any ninjutsu they touch and thus become impervious to it; this includes negating the regenerative qualities of Impure World Reincarnation, making it possible to permanently damage and kill those reincarnated by the technique. However, the orbs are incapable of nullifying senjutsu, as according to Naruto, natural energy can be used to combat itself.
Naruto can use Truth Seeking Balls to create his Tailed Beast Ball Rasenshuriken. Similarly, Obito was able to convert one of his orbs into black receivers, allowing him to use the Six Red Yang Formation. While in their default sphere form, the orbs can be launched as high-speed projectiles, expanded to enormous sizes in an instant. Whatever their shape, users can only control the orbs within 70 metres of their location, allowing opponents to disable them by transporting them elsewhere. If the user is killed or similarly incapacitated, their Truth-Seeking Balls will disintegrate alongside any black receivers they created.
Truth-Seeking Balls can be controlled individually or combined together; in both cases, by understanding the power of "all things in nature" (森羅万象, Shinra Banshō), the orbs can be shaped into a variety of forms. Because the high-density chakra is in a condensed state, it can be pulled and stretched into a smooth and flat consistency, as well as freely manipulated into any other shape. Hiruzen Sarutobi theorised that there is a limit to how long the orbs can maintain a certain shape, though this was never confirmed. Most users are able to reshape their Truth-Seeking Balls without any special effort, though Obito does so by passing them through holes that temporarily form in his hands. The orbs can also wrap around the user's body to form a protective shell. Though highly durable, this defence can still be broken by attacks that cannot be nullified, such as powerful senjutsu and taijutsu.
While in Tenseigan Chakra Mode, Toneri could enhance his Truth-Seeking Balls by infusing them with glowing green chakra. Rather than simple black constructs, Toneri demonstrated the ability to transform one of these glowing orbs into an ornate golden cage. He could also combine them to create a massive vortex capable of blasting through the moon's surface and a giant sword capable of cutting the entire moon in half.
- The term Truth-Seeker (求道, Kyūdō; Gudō) comes from Mahāyāna Buddhism. The kanji 求 means to wish for, while the Way (道, Dō) in Mahāyāna doctrine is to find the ultimate truth within one's own mind.
- If the Truth-Seeking Balls contain natural energy, users should not be able to add ninjutsu-negating Yin–Yang Release to them, as natural energy is precisely what causes other jutsu to become immune to erasure.
- Despite stating that the orbs are wielded by Six Paths Senjutsu users, the fourth databook does not classify this technique as senjutsu.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 and Jump Force, Truth-Seeking Balls give off a purple glow. In the former, Obito employs the orbs in several unique ways, such as forming scythes, drills, spinning disks, and hands capable of firing Tailed Beast Balls.
- Despite repeatedly accessing his orbs every time he entered Six Paths Sage Mode during the Fourth Shinobi World War, Naruto has not been seen accessing them since whenever using said form.
- In Naruto: Shinobi Collection Shippū Ranbu, Obito has a technique called "Truth-Seeking Ball: Trailokya Extinction" (求道玉・三界死滅, Gudōdama: Sangai Shimetsu), in which he combines his Truth-Seeking Balls into a single expanding orb that obliterates the surrounding area. The technique refers to the Trailokya, the three realms of karmic rebirth in Buddhist cosmology.
- Fourth Databook, page 249
- Naruto chapter 669, page 6
- Naruto chapter 690, page 4
- The Last: Naruto the Movie
- Naruto chapter 639, pages 6-8
- Naruto chapter 640, page 14
- Naruto chapter 674, page 1
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 468
- Naruto chapter 666, page 6
- Naruto chapter 665, pages 16-17
- Naruto chapter 643, page 4
- Naruto chapter 670, page 2
- Naruto chapter 669, pages 6-7
- Naruto chapter 695, page 4
- Naruto chapter 660, page 10
- Naruto chapter 675, page 10
- Naruto chapter 686, pages 10-11
- Naruto chapter 689, page 5
- Naruto chapter 672, page 16
- Naruto chapter 642, pages 4-5
- Naruto chapter 642, pages 14-16
- Naruto chapter 643, page 4
- Naruto chapter 676, page 13
- Naruto chapter 643, pages 9-11
- Fourth Databook, page 255
- Naruto chapter 666, page 5
- Naruto chapter 640, pages 5-7
- Naruto chapter 680, pages 10-11
- Naruto chapter 673, page 1
- Naruto chapter 641, pages 8-9
- Naruto chapter 651, pages 12-13
- Naruto chapter 669, pages 15-16
- Naruto chapter 675, page 11