The user moulds water into the shape of a dragon, which they then direct at a target. The water crashes upon the target, dealing significant physical damage. Ideally, users will use pre-existing bodies of water for this technique, but sufficiently skilled users can instead create the water themselves, spitting the dragon from their mouths. The more talented the user, the greater the amount of water that the dragon can be made from.
- When written as "水流", suiryū means "water current".
- During this technique's first appearance, it is performed with forty-four hand seals, the most to ever be seen used for one jutsu. Far fewer hand seals are used during subsequent appearances.
- In Naruto Shippūden the Movie, when Shizuku was under the influence of medically altered chakra, she was able to control the water dragon to seek out her targets from a great distance.
- Rin no Sho, page 201
- Naruto chapter 120, page 4
- Naruto chapter 577, page 4
- Naruto chapter 587, pages 10-11