A clone that is created by using chakra to alter the user's own cells into vegetation. The clones can be as simple in function as a wooden dummy for use in the Body Replacement Technique or completely mobile and able to perform jutsu. They have the ability to travel far from the user and are able to communicate with the original. Moreover, since the wood clone has the ability to merge with plants and trees, it is also great for reconnaissance missions. By directly touching the wood clone with his hand, the user can change the shape of the clone.
Unlike other clone techniques, the wood clone doesn't disappear when hit and takes the damage to a certain degree. This, according to Madara Uchiha, makes it the perfect clone technique that only he with his dōjutsu was able to see through. Wood clones are also somewhat inhibited by the actions of the user, so if they are preoccupied with other tasks the wood clones will not be able to act to their full potential. Wood clones can, however, be dispelled like normal clones.
- When Madara used this technique, he called it a "Wood Release Clone" (木遁分身, Mokuton Bunshin).
- When Hashirama used this technique, he called it "Wood Release: Wood Clone Technique" (木遁・木分身の術, Mokuton: Moku Bunshin no Jutsu).
- Sha no Sho, page 309
- Naruto chapter 577, page 13
- Naruto chapter 632, page 6
- Naruto chapter 288, page 11
- Naruto chapter 300, page 14
- Naruto chapter 301, page 14
- Naruto chapter 577 pages 10-11
- Naruto chapter 636, page 14
- Naruto chapter 638, page 13