Through the use of Susanoo, the user is able to create the Yasaka Magatama from any of its hands. Due to its structure, it acts in a similar manner to that of a shuriken when thrown by Susanoo — rapidly spinning towards the intended target — and results in an explosion upon impact. The size of these projectiles are dependent on the user, with smaller variations often used when fighting in close quarters or confined spaces.
While all operate in a somewhat similar manner, the technique can assume multiple forms that differ slightly both in appearance and use. These range from:
- Three magatama bound together by a single, circular thread that are created either between two of Susanoo's hands or from just one, which are then propelled towards the target as a single combined projectile.
- A considerable number of magatama strung out between two of Susanoo's hands, using an interconnecting thread. These then detach themselves from one another once propelled towards the target, so that each magatama becomes a separate projectile.
The Yasakani no Magatama (八尺瓊曲玉, literally meaning: Eight Shaku Curved Jewel) is one of the Three Imperial Regalia of Japan (三種の神器, Sanshu no Jingi), together with the Kusanagi no Tsurugi (草薙劍, literally meaning: Grass-Mowing Sword) and the Yata no Kagami (八咫鏡, literally meaning: Eight Span Mirror).
- Itachi Uchiha mentions that the Yasaka Magatama is his strongest long-range technique.
- The shape of the single projectile variation of the Yasaka Magatama — three magatama bound together by a single circular line — is reminiscent of the completed form of the Sharingan.
- Fourth Databook, page 301
- Naruto chapter 578, page 5
- Naruto chapter 580, page 11
- Naruto chapter 563, page 9
- Naruto chapter 551, page 13