The user is able to open rifts in the fabric of space that allow them to instantaneously transport themselves to another location. The openings can be used to connect two different spatial locations within the same dimension, or to create a pathway that links two dimensions together. By entering these spacial tears, the user is able to retreat, disorient enemies, or execute ambush attacks at a moment's notice. Kaguya Ōtsutsuki used this technique to travel between her six dimensions.
These portals can also be used to transport only sections of the user's body by partially entering them, allowing the user to grab their opponents and drag them into the portal, sending them to another location. The speed of this is such that even a shinobi as fast as Sasuke Uchiha was caught off guard. However, evading the portals is still possible.
- Yomotsu Hirasaka is the name of the slope that leads to the underworld in Japanese mythology.
- In the anime, this was the first jutsu used on Earth.
- Obito Uchiha was able to synchronise his Kamui with Kaguya's Yomotsu Hirasaka to gain access to her six dimensions.
- Black Zetsu was able to use this technique while residing inside the sleeve of Kaguya's severed arm.
- At times, Urashiki Ōtsutsuki activates his Rinnegan before using this technique, though he can also use it without doing so.
- In the anime, Sasuke is able to detect from a distance when this technique is used.